Coal Is Essential
Most likely the computer you are using right now is powered by coal-generated electricity.
The average American uses about 20 pounds of coal every day in the form of electricity.
"In order to become less dependent on foreign sources of energy, we've got to find and produce more energy at home, including coal," said President Bush.
Source: Department of Energy
Coal is the best fossil fuel energy source because it is:
- Abundant-many countries have extensive reserves of coal; it is mined in more than 50 countries.
- Safe-coal is stable and the safest fossil fuel to transport, store and use.
- Secure-coal users are guaranteed security of supply at competitive prices due to abundant reserves, hence electricity supplies for industrial and domestic use are assured.
- Clean-coal can now be burnt cleanly throughout the world using current technologies.
- Cost-effective-globally, coal is a competitive fuel for the generation of electricity and is the major energy source for power generation. Without coal, modern life would be virtually impossible.
Source: World Coal Institute